Sunday, January 04, 2009

Now what?!?

Starting January 2007 my evenings and weekends have been occupied by endless hours of research, reading, blogging, online videos, shooting, reshooting and shooting again, Photoshop, videos about PS, late night phone calls all working towards a graduation portfolio. This Dawson College Commercial Photography portfolio presentation happened. It came! And a hell of alot faster was torn down and, as if it never happened, gone.

I graduated from Dawson College's night photo program, surprising myself with a series of 15 images. How do you summarize 2 years of non stop photography studies into 15 images? This was a question that dawned on me a long time ago. Actually, about a month after I started. Well don't ask me to explain it to you, but it's done.

Nine major images, namely photojournalism, specifically sports photography. I didn't have to go to Dawson to learn sports photography. To be frank, I didn't learn anything about it at Dawson. For a college that pretends to teach photoj as part of commercial photography, a ten minute presentation on local photoj-ers and a presentation of WAR Photographer by James Nachtwey (incredible movie by the way) won't cut it. It barely cuts the metaphorical cheese. Ok, so its a new year and I made a resolution to complain less (why not stop entirely, because I think a moderate about of complaining is good for the soul). To put it simply, 2 years of not learning photoj or sports photo and I came up with nine images.

Well nine of the fifteen images are accounted for. The remaining six images are editorial illustrations. A personal collection of work I had though about for a year or so, and managed to put it together in time for the early December deadline. For those of you who don't know what an editorial illustration is, well look it up. I'm not a dictionary, nor am I an instructor.

Now that you have looked it up and have not been able to find it, I'll indulge you. Its a photographic representation of a news, media or editorial concept, illustrating a items (in this case) not for what they are, but I want them to represent. Mine happens to be more conceptual concept that literal. Hopefully you'll understand more when you see it.

My site will become the only showcase of my work. The constant interaction between peers has been cut since my graduation. I have tried to encourage some of my fellow graduates to post some images so I could keep the dialogue open, but it hasn't work very well. People are lazy.

Because of my lack of laziness, I AM B.O.R.D. (bored out right dumb). Hence the title for this post, What now?!?

0 comments:

Post a Comment